This bronze statuette was once a support for a large gold reliquary resting on six kneeling figures, which was commissioned from three goldsmiths in Paris by the abbot of Saint Germain des Prés, in 1409.
The prophet is wearing a hat and once held something in his hands, probably a scroll. His elegant pose and ample robe give the figure a monumental look. The expressive power of the face is due to the masterly carving. This refined piece testifies to the role played by Paris craftsmen in the "international Gothic" style about 1400.
Reproduction in metal alloy with patina
- H. 14 cm (5,51"); W. 10 cm (3,94"); D. 8 cm (3,15") / 500 g
- France, 15th century
- Material of the original
- Paris - Musée du Louvre
- Metal alloy
- Art movement
- Medieval art