The Chalcography was founded in 1797 based on the assembled collections put together under the Ancien Régime. The most important copper plates among them came from the Cabinet of Engraved Plates of the King, established by Colbert, and the archives of the Royal Academy of Painting and Sculpture.
The Chalcography’s collections have constantly been enriched over the centuries. Since it was founded in 1895, the RMN has distributed and sold prints produced from original copper plates on the workshop’s presses.
Since 1990, the RMN has pursued a policy of commissioning living artists, thereby assuring the Chalcography a place in contemporary art.
Etude d’ange debout
La Vierge à l'écuelle
Etude de femme assise tenant un enfant
L'Amour et Psyché
Towns & Monuments
Le Mont Saint-Michel
Etude de main
Le philosophe en méditation
Les muses Melpomène, Erato et Polymnie
La leçon de clavecin
Le serment des Horaces
Tête de jeune garçon